3rd September 2017
Whilst the organising team have endeavored to minimize disruption as much as possible, the nature of running and the danger of having runners mixed with cars means that many roads and lanes have to close.
Swindon Half Marathon is supporting 15 Swindon Charities, which will have stations on the course, and is also benefitting the fitness and well being of 1000’s of Swindon runners. We apologise for the disruption caused, and hope that you, the local residents, will come out and support the runners during their race.
Below is a list of road and lane closures, which in conjunction with the closure times map, show which roads to avoid for the duration of the race. The times shown on the map are a worse case scenario, and we hope to have many of the roads open long before the final closure time listed.
Many of the junctions and roundabouts will have permissible passing available between runners where the marshal at that point deems it safe to do so.
Our marshals and the Police on the course are there to help, so please just ask them on the course if you’re stuck or need assistance.
- Shrivenham Road crossing of the Magic Roundabout from the County Ground to Queens Drive. All lanes
- Queens Drive from the Magic Roundabout to Coate Water – Direction lane only
- Dorcan Way (B4006) from Coate Water to Greenbridge – Left Lane Closure only
- Greenbridge Roundabout closed from Dorcan Way into First Roundabout entrance to Greenbridge Retail park
- Stratton road towards Swindon Road Ramp – Closed
- Stratton Road into Bridgend Road – Traffic Light System for two way traffic Flow
- Bridgend Road – Closed only in the direction of Greenbridge to Cirencester Way
- Cirencester Way towards Transfer Bridges – Closed on left lane only (Dual Carriageway)
- Transfer bridges – Closed
- Great Western Way between the transfer Bridges and Cockelberry Roundabout – Closed on one lane only (Dual Carriageway)
- Corporation Street Bridge – Closed
- B4289 Between Corporation Street and Polaris Way – Closed one lane only (Dual Carriageway)
- Polaris Way running besides North Star College – Closed
- North Star Avenue – Closed one lane with permissible passing
- Hawksworth Way from the entrance of the Oasis to Newcombe Drive – Closed one lane only (left lane only when looking in the direction from the Oasis)
- Newcombe Drive (Hawksworth Industrial Estate) – Closed one lane in the direction towards Great Western Way – Permissible passing at the top to access Skate park and units
- Great Western Way from Newcombe Drive to Bruce Street bridges – Closed one lane only (Dual Carriageway)
- Bruce Street bridges – Closed one lane only between great Western Way and Kemble Drive
- Kemble Drive – Closed one lane only in direction from Bruce Street Bridges towards Outlet Village
- Outlet North Car Park – Accessible from Direction of Rodbourne and Managed crossing over runners into Outlet Village main entrance
- B4289 from Kemble Drive to Town (before going under bridge) – Closed in the direction of town left lane only when looking from Outlet Direction
- B4289 from Town towards Rodbourne – Closed at the TA Centre lights
- Penzance Drive towards Outlet West Car Park – Open in both directions with stop/go system in place
- A3102 (Wootten Bassett Road) – In the direction from Mannington Roundabout towards Town, Road Closed past turning into Penzance Drive. In the Direction of Town towards Mannington Roundabout, road will be open with Permissible crossing between runners
- Redpost Drive & outer road running past Whichlestowe towards Pipers Way – Road Closed on left side only when coming from direction of the BMW dealership. Managed Crossings at Juno Way and Eyam Road. All traffic can only flow in the direction of Pipers way and Wootten Bassett Road
- Waitrose Roundabout and Mill Lane – Open
- Pipers way – Closed left lane only in direction from Croft Road to Pipers Roundabout (Marriott)
- B4289 from Pipers Roundabout toward Wood Street. Closed Left lane only with permissible crossings from Evelyn Street and Signal Way
- B4289 Roundabout next to Co Op – Closed
- Wood Street – Closed
- Victoria Road – Closed between Bath Road Roundabout and Union Row, after which Victoria Hill will only be closed on the left hand side when facing down the hill. Traffic can still go up Victoria Road to the point of Union Row (between Longs Bar and the Vic) Permissible passing will be made into the Car park for Regent Circus Cinema etc.
- Regent Circus – Closed on left lane only from Victoria Road towards Crombey Street, and then runners will cross onto Commercial road over new Crossing Island. Cars will still be able to access Regent Circus as a roundabout from the direction of Clarence Street, and either head up Victoria Hill, or continue around Regent Circus and head back past Mecca and down onto Princess Street
- Commercial Road. Closed Left lane only when looking in the direction from the Tented market end. Permissible crossing will be available to access and exit Granville Street Car Park, and vehicles using Commercial road will be able to continue to the end and turn right into Crombey Street
- Market Street past Tented Market to Wharf green – closed